If you’re going to train hard then you need to recover hard! Here are my favorite 5 things to do to ensure a fast recovery after intense training workouts and races.
- Re-hydrate with water after a workout. You will soon add nutrition to your belly but first drink a tall glass of H2O. This will adsorb quickly into your blood stream and keep metabolism cranking and toxins moving!
- Eat a light snack within 30 minutes after your race or workout. Don't miss this window! Your body is like a sponge during the first 30 minutes. I prefer a snack that contains 10-15 grams of protein and 20-30 grams of carbohydrates.
- Stretch lightly and then add 3-5 minutes of core work. Your core is essential to keep everything glued together when tired. Your body is a bit broken down and by increasing your core strength, we can make sure to stay injury free.
- Eat a second time 1-2 hours post workout or race. Start with colorful fruit and vegetables rich in vitamins, nutrients, and carbohydrates. Include a palm size portion of lean protein and finish off with a handful of nuts and seeds for healthy fat.
- Finally, include active recovery in the 1-2 day(s) after. Easy efforts at conversation pace for at least 36-48 hours. If you raced then a good rule of thumb for runners is to take 1 day easy for every mile raced. After a 1/2 marathon this would mean 2 weeks of active recovery! A marathon then a month easy!!